Updated Tuesday, December 17, 2013
Greetings From Grimey's
Merry Christmas, Everybody! I've got lots of news for you in today's newsletter so let's get right to it.
Unfortunately Eric Burdon has had to cancel his trip to Nashville this week so he will not be meeting fans and signing records at Grimey's on Thursday. His appearance at the Brendan Benson & Friends show at The Ryman on Wednesday night is also canceled. That show will go on but without Burdon (read the full statement from his management below). We wish him well and hope he does reschedule his visit and we still get a chance to hang with a Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame legend.
I'm sure this announcement will help ease the disappointment, however:
Wayne Coyne, of The Flaming Lips, will appear at Grimey's this Thursday, December 19th at 4PM!!! He's dropping by 5 record stores around the country and luckily he chose to put Grimey's on his itinerary. See more details below but we'll have a limited supply of 2 new vinyl reissues of the earliest Flaming Lips recordings and Wayne is bringing some chocolate skulls! The line to meet Wayne will form at the front door of Grimey's. We'll be here to fill you in when you arrive if you have questions.
We are currently in the midst of our Christmas holiday hours. We open at 10am everyday through Christmas Eve (except Sunday, when we're open 1-6pm).
Tues Dec 24 (Christmas Eve) 10am-5pm
Wed Dec 25 (Christmas!) CLOSED
Tues Dec 31 (New Years Eve) 11am-5pm
Wed Jan 1 (New Years Day) CLOSED
#ICYMI (gotta love the hashtag twitters), we sent out our Grimey's Staff Picks for Best of 2013 last week. Now they're up on the website so check them here. Feel free to use them as a gift guide, to discover which Grimey's staffer you share tastes with, or to ridicule us. We don't care!
It's not much of a new release day today but we did find some interesting things to entice you down for new music. Check the list below, in the "Hitting The Racks" section.
Thanks for reading and for supporting your local record store. We're here for you.
Upcoming In-Store Events • Promotions & Free Stuff • Hitting The Racks
Indie Underground Hour • Tickets For Sale • Music On The TV
Features Of The Month • The Chart! • Preloved Mondays
Upcoming In-Store Events
In-Stores are all free and all ages, always. Come rock with us.
WAYNE COYNE from The Flaming Lips - Thursday, December 19th @ 4PM
Yep, you heard right! Wayne Coyne, icon of a generation of Flaming freaks, will stop by Grimey's this Thursday at 4PM to sign and sell copies of his new, limited reissues of The Flaming Lips 1st EP (on 12" vinyl) and The Flaming Lips 2nd Cassette Demo (on 7" vinyl). He'll also have some of the crazy limited chocolate skull version of the reissues(?!!) Wayne will also sign your fave 'Lips records if you bring them. Due to time constraints he will sign up to 3 items you bring with you, plus whatever you buy while here (the limited reissues or any of our Flaming Lips catalog). We are over the moon about hosting one of our fave artists of all time at Grimey's. Please join us this Thursday to meet Wayne Coyne! Line forms at the front door of the original Grimey's (1604 8th Ave So)
Nashville Cream post about Wayne's Grimey's appearance
ERIC BURDON - Thursday, December 19th *CANCELED*
Unfortunately Eric Burdon has had to cancel his trip to Nashville and will not be appearing at Grimey's. Here is his official statement: "After just returning to the US from an exhaustive, very successful tour of Europe, at the end of a non-stop year of traveling and the release of three new records, it is with great regret that we must announce that Eric's appearances at the "Brendan Benson and Friends" Benefit Concert at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville on December 18th and his in-store appearance at Grimey's on December 19th will be cancelled. We can assure you that this was a very difficult decision, as Eric was very excited to perform in this benefit for the David Lynch Foundation surrounded by excellent company and to greet his fans the following day. We are extremely sorry and we thank you for your support. Eric looks forward to seeing his Nashville fans at a later date." Let's keep our fingers crossed...
Sharon Jones Soul Brunch - Sunday, January 5th @ 1PM
We're very excited about "Give The People What They Want", the new album from Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings! As most of you are aware, Sharon has been battling cancer this past year and had to postpone the album release and tour with the Dap-Kings. Thankfully she is in the midst of a full recovery and the new album is back on! It's officially out January 14 but we're going to give you a sneak preview at our Sharon Jones Soul Brunch on Sunday, January 5th. Join us for some home-made brunch dishes and a biscuit bar! We'll also have free mimosas for those 21 and over and some nice goodies for you to win including a white vinyl test pressing of the new LP! We'll also have a limited number of colored vinyl 7" singles for those who pre-order "Give The People What They Want" at the Soul Brunch.
Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings website
back to the top
Stuff You Can Win!
Here's the latest enter-to-win goodies at the Grimey's. Just come down to the store and throw your name into the hat. You can't win if you don't enter.
• Yes - Enter to win a copy of the new Yes boxset, "Yes: The Studio Albums 1969-1987" due out on December 24th on Atlantic Records. Free limited Roger Dean art print too!
• Grizzly Bear - Enter to win a super rare, limited test pressing of the new Grizzly Bear "Shields: B-Sides" LP, out now on Warp Records.
• Eric Clapton - Enter to win an Eric Clapton "Crossroads" Prize Pack featuring the brand new 2CD & 2DVD Crossroads Guitar Festival sets, recorded April 12 & 13, 2013, plus a Crossroads t-shirt and a copy of the festival program booklet.
• Of Montreal - Of Montreal's new album "Lousy With Sylvianbriar" is out now on Polyvinyl Records and we're giving away a signed copy of their LP along with a poster and sticker. Stop by Grimey's for your chance to enter to win!
• John & Jacob - Enter to win a pair of tickets to see John & Jacob at 3rd & Lindsley on Sunday, January 19th.
• Jake Bugg - Enter to win one of 5 pairs of tickets to see Jake Bugg on Saturday, February 1st at The Ryman!
• Shovels & Rope - Enter to win a pair of tickets to see Shovels & Rope on Thursday, February 7th at Mercy Lounge.
• White Lies / Frankie Rose - Enter to win a pair of tickets to see White Lies with Frankie Rose on Wednesday, February 19th at The Cannery Ballroom.
• Hardworking Americans - Enter to win a pair of tickets to see Hardworking Americans (featuring Todd Snider, Dave Schools of Widespread Panic, Neal Casal of The Chris Robinson Brotherhood, Chad Staehly of Great American Taxi & Duane Trucks of King Lincoln) on February 21st at Marathon Music Works.
• St Vincent - Enter to win a pair of tickets to see St. Vincent on Wednesday, March 19th at Marathon Music Works.
• Gavin DeGraw - Enter to win a pair of tickets to see Gavin DeGraw with Parachute and Rossi Crane on Wednesday, March 26th at The Ryman Auditorium
• Local Natives - Enter to win a pair of tickets to see Local Natives on Wednesday, April 30th at The Ryman Auditorium
This stuff is just plain FREE, with purchase naturally & while supplies last.
• Tim Kasher - Free TK Demos CD, sticker and flat w/ purchase of "Adult Film" on vinyl or CD
• Jake Bugg - Free button w/ purchase of "Shangri La" on vinyl or CD
• Billy Joe & Norah Jones - Free lithograph w/ purchase of "Foreverly" on CD
• Nick Lowe - Free Nick Lowe Christmas ornament w/ purchase of "Quality Street" on vinyl or CD.
• Shearwater - Free 7" w/ purchase of "Fellow Travelers" on vinyl
• Bright Eyes - Free poster w/ purchase of "A Christmas Album" on vinyl or CD
• Grizzly Bear - Free poster w/ purchase of "Shields (Expanded Version) on vinyl or CD
• Cut Copy - Free poster w/ purchase of "Free Your Mind" on vinyl or CD
• Donny Hathaway - Free poster w/ purchase of "Never My Love: The Anthology" on CD
• Cate Le Bon - Free tote bag w/ purchase of "Mug Museum" on vinyl or CD
• Los Campesinos - Free tote bag w/ purchase of "No Blues" on vinyl or CD
• Linkin Park - Free bracelet w/ purchase of "Recharged" on CD
• Brett Dennen - Free poster w/ "Smoke and Mirrors" on CD
• Black Hearted Brother - Free art print w/ purchase of "Stars Are Our Home" on vinyl or CD
• The Avett Brothers - Free poster w/purchase of "Magpie & the Dandelion" on vinyl or CD
• The Head & the Heart - Free postcard, sticker & poster w/ purchase of "Let's Be Still" on vinyl or CD
• Tristen - Free poster w/ purchase of "Caves" on CD (vinyl due 10/29)
• Cults - Free autographed CD booklet w/ purchase of "Static" on vinyl or CD
• Red Fang - Free koozie w/ purchase of "Whales & Leeches" on vinyl or CD
• Cage The Elephant - Free 7" single w/ purchase of "Melophobia" on vinyl or CD
• Pelican - Free live CD w/ purchase of "Forever Becoming" on vinyl or CD
• Polica - Free lithograph w/ purchase of "Shulamith" on vinyl or CD
• Quasi - Free CD EP w/ purchase of "Mole City" on CD
• J.D. Wilkes & the Dirt Daubers - Free autographed poster w/ purchase of "Wild Moon" on vinyl or CD
• The Clash - Free lithograph w/ purchase of "Hits Back" on vinyl or CD
• Stone Temple Pilots - Free autographed poster w/ purchase of "High Rise" on CD
• Austin Lucas - Free 7" single w/ purchase of "Stay Reckless" on CD
• Jack Johnson - Free lithograph w/ purchase of "From Here to You" on vinyl or CD
• MGMT - Free poster, sticker & button w/ purchase of "MGMT" on vinyl or CD
• Terry Malts - Free flexi-7" w/ purchase of "Nobody Realizes" on vinyl or CD
• Weeknd - Free poster, sticker & pint cup w/ purchase of "Kiss Land" on vinyl or CD
• Sly & the Family Stone - Free lithograph w/ purchase of "Higher" box-set on vinyl or CD
• Willy Mason - Free tote bag w/ purchase of "Carry On" on vinyl or CD
• Tedeschi Trucks Band - Free poster w/ purchase of "Made Up Mind" on vinyl or CD
• The Civil Wars - Free lithograph & entry to win a test pressing of "The Civil Wars" LP w/ purchase of "The Civil Wars" on vinyl or CD
back to the top
Hitting The Racks
Here's your weekly rundown of the new releases hitting the racks at Grimey's.
I Heard the Angels Singing: Electrifying Black Gospel From The Nashboro Label 1951-1983 4xCD (Tompkins Square)
In this first licensed reissue of Nashboro material in decades, this highly influential music, a vital part of the fabric of American music, can finally be heard. Begun by Ernie Young in Nashville, TN, at the height of gospel s golden age, Nashboro was arguably the greatest, most prolific and longest-living gospel record label. This exceptional set mirrors the evolution of the music itself from hard-shouting quartets and riveting solo artists through to organ-driven groups and heavy gospel soul. Among the many highlights are tracks by The Consolers, Swanee Quintet, The Angelic Gospel Singers, The Radio Four, The Supreme Angels, Pilgrim Jubilees, Fairfield Four, Edna Gallmon Cooke, Hightower Brothers, Brooklyn All Stars, Bro. Joe May, Gospel Keynotes, The CBS Trumpeteers, Holmes Sisters, Five Singing Stars, The Jewel Gospel Trio and The Gospel Harmonettes.
Jerry Garcia Band And Bob Weir/Rob Wasserman - Fall 1989: The Long Island Sound 6xCD (ATO)
Six-CD Set featuring two complete, previously unreleased performances mastered from original soundboard recordings captured during the Jerry Garcia Band's Fall 1989 East Coast tour which featured fellow Grateful Dead co-founder and guitar/vocalist Bob Weir with bassist Rob Wasserman as the opening act.
Good Old War - Live From The City Of Brotherly Love CD (Sargent House)
Known far and wide as one of America's best live bands, Philadelphia's Good Old War has finally captured the experience in a live recording. The trio has played hundreds of shows over the past five years, including tours with Alison Krauss, Guster, Joshua Radin, Dr. Dog, Xavier Rudd, Brandi Carlile, Counting Crows, Needtobreathe, Dispatch, Anthony Green, Gaslight Anthem and more.
DTCV - Hilarious Heaven CD (Xemu Records)
French-American post-punk oufit DTCV was formed in Los Angeles in 2012 by Guylaine Vivarat (ex-Useless Keys, Tennis System), James Greer (ex-Guided By Voices), and Chris Dunn, a recent transplant from Chicago. Hilarious Heaven is an hour-plus masterpiece stuffed with fizzing pop gems, free jazz saxophone skronk, found sounds, flute solo(s), a piano ballad in French, synth-pop, a Monks cover, and two songs that surpass the eleven minute mark.
Glaxo Babies - Put Me On The Guest List CD (Superior Viaduct)
Glaxo Babies are the greatest UK post-punk band you've never heard, formed in Bristol in late 1977 and named after the British pharmaceutical giant who allegedly inoculated thousands with a toxic vaccine. Put Me On The Guest List collects the band's propulsive demos, mostly performed live in the studio with no overdubs and not originally intended for release. Vinyl version due December 24.
Glaxo Babies - Nine Months To The Disco [Reissue/1980] CD/LP (Superior Viaduct)
Reportedly recorded in a single day, Nine Months To The Disco originally appeared on Heartbeat Records in 1980. Glaxo Babies' sole proper album veers between wiry electro à la Liquid Liquid ("Free Dem Cells"), piano-based free jazz burners ("Seven Days") and progressive post-Krautrock jams that would make even This Heat blush, culminating in the mutant funk masterpiece "Shake (The Foundations)" (which was regularly covered by The Pop Group in their live set). Nine Months To The Disco is a monster statement, equal parts ballroom bangers and dancefloor clearers.
Various/Soundtrack - Mandela: Long Walk To Freedom CD (Decca)
The motion picture soundtrack to the new film chronicling Nelson Mandelas life journey from childhood in a rural village to his inauguration as the first democratically elected president of South Africa. Includes the new U2 song "Ordinary Love," as well as tracks by Gil Scott-Heron, Art Blakey, Bob Marley, and more.
Jeff The Brotherhood - Past 7" Recordings 7x7" (Infinity Cat)
A re-assembled collection of seven out-of-print Jeff The Brotherhood 7" singles, culled from previous A and B-sides and the Jeff sides from five split 7"s, and rounded out with a previously unreleased version of "Stay Up Late." Each of the seven singles is on a different color vinyl with new black on silver labels.
Paul McCartney - New LP (Hear Music)
Recently released on CD - now available on vinyl. "In calling his 16th solo album New, Paul McCartney is celebrating his fresh attitude rather than a change of musical direction. Though they're produced by men young enough to be his sons, these 12 songs are vintage Macca: jaunty, melodic and occasionally whimsical with underlying twists of lyrical anger." - The Telegraph.
The Beatles - Live At The BBC 3xLP (Capitol)
Recently reissued on CD - now available again on vinyl (HQ-180gm).
Grateful Dead - Birth Of The Dead 2xLP (Friday Music)
With their very first gigs and studio recordings when they were known as The Warlocks, the historical importance of these debut sessions would soon become a blueprint for the music world as the Grateful Dead would become one of the biggest names in music as well as one of the biggest concert attractions of all time. The Grateful Dead unearthed 17 super rare studio recordings from 1965-67, nearly all these tracks have never been on vinyl! Gatefold packaging includes several unearthed photos from the lens of the legendary Herb Greene and are some of the first photos ever taken of the band.
Jake Bugg - Shangri La LP (Island)
The British singer/songwriter's new album shares its title with the Malibu studio where it was made, once the '70s haven of Bob Dylan and The Band, now the creative hub of legendary producer Rick Rubin. Rubin's assembled wrecking crew of Shangri La session regulars includes guitarist Matt Sweeney, bassist Jason Lader, and drummers Chad Smith and Pete Thomas.
Elvis Costello And The Roots - Wise Up: Thought Remixes & Reworks 10" (Blue Note)
Remix EP companion to Wise Up Ghost. J Dilla Disciple and Stones Throw Records beat maker/drummer Karriem Riggins contributed four new exclusive remixes and three interludes on the hip-hop front. Daptone's own Menahan Street Band (a collective featuring members of Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings and El Michaels Affair) come with the Memphis-to-Muscle Shoals slow funk flavor in their rework of "Tripwire." Tennis - Small Sound 10" (Communion) Small Sounds serves as a precursor to the third full-length from husband and wife pair Alaina Moore and Patrick Riley, also known as Tennis, set to come out next spring.
7 Days Of Funk - 7 Days Of Funk LP (Stones Throw)
Previously on CD - Now on vinyl. New release from the modern funk outfit featuring Dam-Funk and Snoopzilla aka Snoop Dogg. CD now, vinyl by the weekend.
Dead Meadow - Warble Womb LP (Xemu)
Recently released on CD - now available on vinyl. The sixth studio release for the D.C. psychedelic rock/stoner rock trio sees the return of drummer Mark Laughlin, who had left the band in 2002.
The Durutti Column - The Return Of The Durutti Column [Reissue/1980] LP (Factory Benelux)
Long awaited reissue of this 1980 album from British guitarist Vini Reilly aka The Durutti Column. While still a live fixture at Factory's Hacienda club, Reilly entered the studio with legendary producer Martin Hannett to work on a spontaneous, organic recording that would become the Durutti Column's classic debut LP. The album was comprised of gentle guitar instrumentals incorporating jazz, folk and classical touches, and sounded unlike anything produced by other post-punk bands of the time.
Eric Clapton - Pilgrim 2xLP (Rhino)
Clapton's 1998 album is now available on HQ-180gm vinyl.
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Gimme Back My Bullets [Reissue/1976] LP (Friday Music)
This 1976 Tom Dowd produced classic, Lynyrd Skynyrd's fourth studio album features the original band line-up Ronnie Van Zant on vocals, lead guitar great Gary Rossington, Allen Collins on guitar, Leon Wilkerson on bass, Billy Powell on piano, and Artemus Pyle on the drums. Remastered and available for the first time ever on HQ-180gm vinyl in a gatefold jacket.
Mayday Parade - Monsters In The Closet LP (Fearless)
Recently released on CD - now available on vinyl. Fourth album from the Florida-based alt-rock band.
back to the top
10% DISCOUNT on Preloved Merchandise EVERY Monday!
To paraphrase Booker T. & The MG's, Times Is Tight. We know. We're feeling it too. So to help you out and, hopefully, to help us out, we'd like to try a new concept - the weekly discount. We're going to start by offering a 10% discount on ALL PRELOVED MERCHANDISE (i.e. used stuff) every Monday from open to close. Come in on Mondays and everything in the store that's preloved (ahem, used) will be 10% OFF, every Monday (excluding dollar LPs and CDs under $5). If this works, we may apply the concept to other items on other days.
back to the top
The Indie Underground Hour on WRLT w/ Doyle from Grimey's New & Preloved Music
Mondays from 9-10pm CST on WRLT/Lightning 100, Nashville's Independent Radio, www.lightning100.com
Indie Underground Hour 12-16-13
Jake Bugg - Kingpin (Shangri-La, Island)
John Paul Keith - You Really Oughta Be With Me (Memphis Circa 3AM, Big Legal Mess)
Tennis - Cured Of Youth (Small Sound, Communion)
White Denim - Distant Relative Salute (Corsicana Lemonade, Downtown)
Cheap Time - Same Surprise (Exit Smiles, In The Red)
Pond - Giant Tortoise (Hobo Rocket, Modular Recordings)
Jason Isbell - Stockholm (Southeastern, Thirty Tigers)
Volcano Choir - Byegone (Repave, Jagjaguwar)
Charles Bradley - Strictly Reserved For You (Victim Of Love, Daptone)
Lady - Get Ready (Lady, Truth & Soul)
Jim James - Know Til Now (Regions Of Light & Sound Of God, ATO)
William Tyler - We Can't Go Home Again (Impossible Truth, Merge)
back to the top
Tickets, We Have Advance Tickets!
Grimey's offers advance tickets to shows. Ticket sales are CASH ONLY. Check the tickets list now online at the Grimey's website.
What's Happening This Week at The BASEMENT?
Check this week's schedule at the Basement's website.
MUSIC ON THE TV
What's rockin' on the toob this week? Listings marked with an asterisk (*) are re-runs.
Tuesday December 17
The Head & The Heart @ Conan, TBS
Polica @ Kimmel, ABC
Alt-J @ Letterman, CBS
Johnny Mathis @ Leno, NBC
Cyndi Lauper @ The Colbert Report, Comedy Central
Chrome Sparks @ Daly, NBC*
Wednesday December 18
Aaron Neville @ The Colbert Report, Comedy Central
Haim @ Kimmel, ABC
Bad Religion @ Conan, TBS
Brett Dennen @ Letterman, CBS
Edward Sharpe & Magnetic Zeros / Tune-Yards @ Austin City Limits, WNPT Channel 8
Cher Lloyd featuring Skee-Lo @ Fallon, NBC*
Tame Impala @ Daly, NBC*
Thursday December 19
The Blind Boys of Alabama @ The Colbert Report, Comedy Central
The Saint Johns @ Letterman, CBS
Young The Giant @ Conan, TBS
Libera @ Leno, NBC
Christopher Cross @ Kimmel, ABC
The Avett Brothers @ Fallon, NBC*
Two Door Cinema Club @ Daly, NBC*
Friday December 20
Darlene Love @ Letterman, CBS
Lissie @ Ferguson, CBS
Leona Lewis @ Leno, NBC
Toro Y Moi @ Kimmel, ABC*
St Lucia @ Daly, NBC*
Saturday December 21
Justin Timberlake @ SNL, NBC
Monday December 23
J Roddy Walston & The Business @ Letterman, CBS
back to the top
Grimey's Incredibly Fantastic Trade-in of Unwanted Presents (or GIFT-UP) Program*
In case you didn't know, we do this goofy thing where we will trade you a
happy Grimey's Gift Certificate for one of the crappy ones you got for
whatever occasion from some unknowing, but well-meaning, relative or friend.
We actually do this gift card exchange thing all through the year because we
don't stop caring about you once December ends, but I only bring it up now
because it's, you know, that time of year when people are in a gift-giving
frenzy but are short on time/energy/ideas, etc. While Grimey's can't do
anything about that sweater with reindeers on it or that smelly candle in
the shape of an evergreen or those tins of stale nougat, we can help with
those unwanted corporate gift cards*.
If you've received some corporate gift cards* that you don't want, stop by
the store and we'll take them and turn them into something you can use -- a GRIMEY'S GIFT CERTIFICATE. (One of our awesome gift certs will be issued foran amount equal to the current value of the competitor's gift card upon
verification.) Just bring your unwanted gift card to the front counter
before you start shopping, and we'll have a Grimey's gift cert (or store
credit) waiting for you when you're ready to check out. Primarily we're talking about Best Buy, Target, Walmart and Amazon gift cards. If you're not sure if yours will qualify just call or email us for more details.
* Yes, of course, there's a catch or three. (1a) The gift card must be from
a chain competitor -- we don't trade on other indie stores' gift cards
because we encourage you to support them too. (1b) Sorry, but we cannot
accept gift cards from any retailer that has announced going out of
business. Also, the chain competitor must at least sell recorded music in
physical formats. So we won't except iTunes gift cards(seriously?). (2) The
gift card's value must be verifiable via phone or the internet. That means
that we can only accept a competitor's gift card if it has an 800-number or
website where the value of the card can be confirmed -- see the back of your
card if you're not sure. (3) The competitor's gift card must not expire for
at least 6 months from the date of exchange. That's it.